Although a songwriter/composer often writes songs from a specific “place,” lyrics are open to individual interpretation. We have different experiences and perspectives, and we impose those on music like a filter. In a post entitled I’ll Know My Name As It’s Called Again, I shared the Mumford & Sons song “The Cave” and spoke about how it resonated with me in my thinking about depression.
Let’s try something new here. As music is a big part of my life and so many other folks’ lives, and because I have a large blogger readership, I present you with a challenge. The purpose is threefold:
- To encourage thoughtful, meaningful writing
- To share good music
- To introduce readers to new or “new-to-you” blogs
The challenge: I want you to write a musical affinity post. Choose a song or piece of music that you love; one that resonates with you or with which you strongly associate a particular feeling, time, or place. It can be from any period in your life, including today. Write about what the song means to you. This is open to interpretation, but here are some suggested talking points:
- Where were you when you first heard it? Be descriptive.
- How do the lyrics pertain to you, an experience you’ve had, or something you’ve struggled with?
- How does the songwriter use words to effectively convey feeling, imagery, etc.?
- If your association with a particular song is a “bad” one, have you faced it head on or do you avoid the song?
The guidelines: Let’s keep this simple.
- Write your post and publish it on your blog* by 11:59:59 p.m. on Tuesday, March 6, 2012, with a link to the song (if possible). You may also wish to include some or all of the lyrics to the song.
- Include a link to this post so your readers know that you’ve taken this challenge and can find similar posts.
- Leave a comment below, providing me with a link to your post, and I’ll include it in a separate listing of all of the posts in this challenge. Readers are encouraged to leave comments about which ones they enjoyed the most!
The prize: Well, since this isn’t so much a contest as it is a challenge, the prize is also simple; the satisfaction of having written a personal, meaningful post, and increased traffic to your blog. I’ll also reblog my favorite one with an introduction next Wednesday (3/7/12).
This should be fun! I’m looking forward to what you come up with, if you choose to accept the challenge. I hope you will.
Let me know if you have any questions (or suggestions!), and happy listening/writing!
*If you don’t have a blog and you’d like to be a part of this challenge, I would encourage you to start one! It’s free and (fairly) easy to get one up and running. I’ve had experience with WordPress.com (obviously) and Blogger.com, and they each have their strengths. If you’d prefer not to start your own blog, submit your post in a comment below or send me an email message!