I’m not exactly sure how “versatile” I feel as a blogger yet, but I appreciate the sentiment. And since I’m still a “new blogger,” and because I’m still defining my voice and niche, I’ll play along. Besides, it’s another good way to encourage other writers (did I just call myself a writer?) and spread the word of their blogs. 🙂
Here are the rules of the Versatile Blogger Award:
- Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in your post.
- Tell us seven things about yourself.
- Award fifteen recently discovered new bloggers.
2. Seven things… Am I interesting enough to come up with seven whole facts? Let’s see…
- I have a bachelor’s degree in–and am certified to practice–music therapy. You probably already knew that from reading Quiet Is the New Loud. Yet I work in financial aid administration. Fancy, expensive college degree FTW.
- I have this fun little neurological thing called synesthesia. (I’m a synesthete.) In my case, I involuntarily associate gender and color attributes to numbers, letters, days of the week, months, etc. I didn’t know there was a term for it until a couple of years ago. I just thought it was typical. As it turns out, not so much.
- When I was a baby and toddler, everyone thought I was a girl. I had light, curly hair that my mom couldn’t bring herself to cut. She suffered a constant barrage of “what a cute little girl you have,” despite having dressed me in blue almost every day of my life.
- Also according to my mom, I was in a car accident as a tike (her sister was driving) and I went head-first through the passenger window as she caught me. I have scars to prove it. Nobody believes it, but she swears by it. I even have my moments of doubt. She says the cop at the scene initially reported a baby on the road because he saw me go out the window. Yet, here I am. Just one of the many reasons I believe life is magical.
- I’m the oldest of four kids, and the only boy. I’m also the only one in the family who doesn’t require corrective lenses. I live two miles away from one sister, but I don’t see her as much as I’d like or as much as I thought I would when I moved here. The other two sisters (twins) and my parents live a state away. I miss them.
- I’m on excellent terms with my ex-wife. Just the other day she and my fiancee took all the kids swimming. More on that tomorrow.
- Finally, a confession: I will occasionally develop a man-crush on celebrities. Of course I have a few female celebrities that I like to ogle, but what (straight) guy doesn’t? That’s not as interesting. But Damian Kulash of OK Go (so talented) recently out-ranked Ryan Reynolds (not as talented, just ridiculously good-looking… jerk) for man-crush status. Then again, I haven’t yet seen Green Lantern…
So there you have it. Seven things about me that you probably didn’t know.
3. 15 recently discovered bloggers. These folks’ writing gives me a tickle (in no particular order):
- Moms Who Drink and Swear
- Give Me a Valium with My Latte
- Message with a Bottle
- Adventures of a Single, Lesbian Mother
- Dad v. Autism
- Adventures in Mommyhood
- Daddy Knows Less
- Rants from Mommyland
- The Monster in Your Closet
- Five Things At Once
- Non-Stop Mom
- Epic Parenting
- The Raconteur Daddy
- Pinwheels and Poppies
That last one is my Karin’s new blog. 🙂 Some of these folks are really new bloggers, others are only kinda new. Sorry, I had to bend the rules a little. If you like my blog, you’re sure to find something else you like in this list.
Happy reading and happy blogging!
Update: I also want to add to the list My Inspirations. Kris writes for herself and she writes from the heart. Please give her blog a look. Thanks.